Hillside Early Childhood Center is seeking an innovative and entrepreneurial founding Head of School to implement and further develop our existing strategic plan, oversee the start-up of our new campus and design our program for infants, toddlers, and young children.
Hillside will be a small, play-based, nationally accredited program that will eventually grow to serve children 2 months - preschool age. The ideal candidate is a creative, energetic, leader with the ability to craft and execute a vision, and who is passionate about early childhood and opening access to high quality programs for children from all socioeconomic backgrounds. The Head of School will report to the Board.
Hillside Early Childhood Center nurtures and educates children and their families. Together, we love to learn and learn to love so that we transform our neighborhood and community for the good of all.
Hillside Early Childhood Center delivers an excellent, full-day, year-round developmental program that fosters healthy bodies, joyful hearts, curious minds, and engaged families, in an inclusive and innovative Episcopal community.
- Support the start-up fundraising efforts of the board and development of community partnerships
- Prepare the facilities to meet all licensing and accreditation requirements, ensuring a safe, healthy environment for all our children is created and maintained
- Plan the educational program, including the implementation of NAEYC guidelines and the initial scope and sequence of a developmental play-based curriculum
- Hire and train founding faculty and staff, and implement supervision and evaluation processes
- Oversee the recruitment and enrollment of initial classes and families
- Work with the board to implement and communicate policies to staff and parents and to build a broad volunteer base
- Partner with the Vicar on behalf of the church and school as ambassadors to the wider community and to foster Episcopal identity
- A. in Education or related field
- Understanding of play-based developmental curriculum
- Ed or M.A. degree
- Prior teaching experience, and at least two years in a supervisory/ administrative role
- Previous experience at a NAEYC accredited program
- Familiarity with budgeting, payroll, fundraising, or non-profit management
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel and Quick Books
- Communicant member of the Episcopal Church or willing to become a member
- In collaboration with the Board, set annual tuition rates and salary schedule, publish policies and procedures in a Parent Handbook and Staff Manual
- Lead recruitment of families, including responding to inquiries, conducting tours, completing enrollment forms, and starting a wait list
- Secure Texas State licensing and oversee the NAEYC initial accreditation process, providing expert advice in preschool programming and ensuring all classrooms adhere to the highest quality play-based curriculum
- Regularly observe teachers and children in their classrooms; evaluate and provide feedback to teachers on a regular basis including annual written performance reviews
- Prepare and provide orientation, training and professional development for staff and volunteers.
- Greet and actively build relationships with families by maintaining a strong daily presence, providing feedback at conferences and informally.
- Work with support from the Good Shepherd staff and the treasurer to prepare financial reports using Quick Books, and to monitor tuition receivables and pay bills in a timely fashion
- Attend monthly Hillside ECC Board meeting and present Director’s Report
- Work with teachers and Good Shepherd on the Hill staff to coordinate special events and facility use
- Help integrate Hillside ECC into the Good Shepherd and greater Episcopal community, working toward future SAES accreditation
This is a standard (40 hours) exempt position with occasional required evenings and weekends. While performing the duties associated with the job, the employee must be able to comfortably lift (up to 40 lbs) and bend, have the ability to get down on the floor with children, and perform work in both an office and classroom environment.
Please submit a resume and letter of interest addressing what excites you about our mission and purpose.